The International Network for Higher Education in Africa (INHEA) has been advancing the continent’s higher education agenda for over 15 years, through research and publication, policy analysis and advocacy, and information dissemination and data provision. Since its inception, INHEA, among others, has been meticulously navigating the international dimension of higher education on the continent in close collaboration and consultation with numerous national, (sub)regional and international actors in the sector and beyond.
As part of these ongoing efforts, INHEA will be launching the Higher Education Forum on Africa, Asia and Latin America (HEFAALA) at an International Symposium on a theme “Inter-Continental Realities, Shared Imperatives” due to take place in Durban on August 19 and 20, 2016. The two-day Symposium, supported by Carnegie Corporation of New York, is expected to be marked by robust discussions and rigorous analyses of topical higher education issues of regional, trans-regional and international significance by leading experts from the three regions and beyond.
We anticipate that this Forum will be one major international avenue and network based in Africa for deliberating on African, Asian and Latin American higher education with an eye on international trends and developments.
We are delighted to share the Final Draft Programme as we look forward to welcoming participants from across the world. The Final Draft Programme could be accessed here.
Damtew Teferra (Prof.)
Convenor and Founder, Higher Education Forum on Africa, Asia and Latin America
Convenor and Founder, Africa, Asia and Latin America Forum on Higher Education
The International Network for Higher Education in Africa is gearing up to launch the Higher Education Forum for Africa, Asia and Latin America (HEFAALA) with an objective to promote trans-continental and global dialogue in higher education. The Forum is intended to foster discussion, research, policy formulation and analysis, publication and communication in recognition of the enormous common challenges as well as emerging opportunities particularly in the three regions in the increasingly globalized higher education domain.
The two-day Symposium will be marked by intense discussions and rigorous analyses of topical higher education issues of regional, trans-regional and international significance by leading experts from the three regions and beyond.
This First HEFAALA International Symposium under a theme Inter-Continental Realities, Shared Imperatives has so far the following leading panelists and speakers in higher education.
- Andreas Bernasconi: Center for Research on Educational Policy and Practice (CEPPE), Pontifical Catholic University, CHILE
- Ronald Bisaso: East African School of Higher Education Studies and Development, Makerere University, UGANDA
- Eugenia Cossa: University of Eduardo Mondlane and Ministry of Higher Education, MOZAMBIQUE
- Hans de Wit: Center for International Higher Education, Boston College, USA
- Sylvie Aupetit Didou: Center for Research and Advanced Studies, MEXICO
- Marcelo Knobel: Universidade Estadual de Campinas—University of Campinas, UNICAMP, BRAZIL
- Sohail Naqiv: Lahore University of Management Sciences, PAKISTAN
- Ibrahim Oanda: Council for the Development of Social Science Research in Africa (CODESRIA), SENEGAL
- Roberto Semerena Escalante: Unión de las Universidades de América Latina, UDUAL—Assocication of the Universities of Latin America and the Carribean, MEXICO
- Morshidi Sirat: Malaysia Universiti Sains, MALAYSIA
- Laura Rumbley: Center for International Higher Education, Boston College, USA
- N. V. Varghese: Centre for Policy Research in Higher Education (CPRHE), National University of Educational Planning and Administration, INDIA
- Akiyoshi Yonezawa: Graduate School of International Development, Nagoya University, JAPAN
- Maria Yudkevich: Center for Institutional Studies, National Research University Higher School of Economics, RUSSIA
HEFAALA, supported by a grant from the Carnegie Corporation of New York, will be officially launched in a dedicated symposium in Durban, South Africa, on August 20, 2016. The event is planned to take place at Coastlands on the Ridge Hotel, 315-319 Ridge Rd, Musgrave, Durban, 4001, South Africa. Phone: 031 271 8200
More information on HEFAALA and the Symposium will be available soon.
Please circulate widely.